First Presbyterian Church Augusta Ga

    presbyterian church

  • the Protestant denomination adhering to the views of John Calvin
  • Presbyterianism refers to many different Christian churches adhering to the Calvinist theological tradition within Protestantism, and organized according to a characteristic Presbyterian polity.
  • The Presbyterian Church building in Beaver, Oklahoma, is a historic church building built in 1887. It was one of the earliest permanent religious buildings built in the Oklahoma Panhandle.

    augusta ga

  • Augusta (also known as Augusta–Richmond County) is a consolidated city in the U.S. state of Georgia, located along the Savannah River.

first presbyterian church augusta ga

first presbyterian church augusta ga – Memorial Of

Memorial Of The Centennial Anniversary Of The First Presbyterian Church, Augusta, Georgia…
Memorial Of The Centennial Anniversary Of The First Presbyterian Church, Augusta, Georgia...
This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923. This book may have occasional imperfections
such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact,
or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections,
have elected to bring it back into print as part of our continuing commitment to the preservation of printed works
worldwide. We appreciate your understanding of the imperfections in the preservation process, and hope you enjoy this valuable book.

++++

The below data was compiled from various identification fields in the bibliographic record of this title. This data is provided as an additional tool in helping to ensure edition identification:

++++

0693 Woodrow Wilson Img 4740

0693 Woodrow Wilson Img 4740
4740 President Woodrow Wilson, 419 Seventh St, Augusta, Richmond, GA. Apr. 19, 11.

"Boyhood Home of Woodrow Wilson"

"Woodrow Wilson, later, to become 27th President of the United States, lived in this Manse of the First Presbyterian Church of which his father, Dr. Joseph R. Wilson, was pastor from 1858 to 1870. Wilson was born in Staunton, VA., in 1856 and he later attended the University of Virginia Law School, graduating in 1881 having previously graduated form Princeton University. He practiced law in Atlanta and in 1885 was married in the Manse of the Savannah Independent Presbyterian Church to Ellen Louise Axson of Rome, GA. He later studied political science at Johns Hopkins and taught at Bryn Mawr, Johns Hopkins and Wesleyan University in Middletown, Conn. He was called to Princeton as professor of jurisprudence and political economy in 1890 and became President of Princeton in 1902. He was elected Governor of New Jersey in 1910 and President of the United States in 1912, being re-elected in 1916. He led this country to victory in the First World War and personally attended the Paris Peace Conference where he fathered the ill-starred League of Nations. He became ill in 1919 and died in 1924.

During his boyhood here his playmate and next door neighbor was Joseph Rucker Lamar, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Georgia, 1902-1905 and of the Supreme Court of the United States from 1910, til his death in 1916."

First Presbyterian Church

First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church of Augusta is an excellent example of a church building that throughout its 180 years of continuous use has changed to reflect the prevailing popularity of church styles. Robert Mills (1781-1855), a nationally known architect of such works as the Washington Monument, designed the orginal church. Mills was born in Charleston and was America’s first native-born architect. He was working in Philadelphia under Benjamin Latrobe, when he submitted his design for the Augusta church in 1807 in a design competition. The original plans by Mills survive and are among the oldest surviving for any Georgia building.

Constructed between 1809 and 1812 in the Classical style, the church was significantly changed in 1847 to incorporate Romanesque round-arched windows and doors and crenellated parapet walls. The only intact features surviving from the Robert Mills design, other than the overall form and size of the building, are the small anterooms that contain the winder staircases in the narthex. Four halls on the sides and rear of the sanctuary were added to the building from 1951 to 1978.

Source: National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior

first presbyterian church augusta ga

First Presbyterian Church,642 Telfair Street,Augusta,Richmond County,GA
8x12in Photographic Print from a high-quality scan of the original.
Title: First Presbyterian Church, 642 Telfair Street, Augusta, Richmond County, GA
Creator(s): Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
Date Created/Published: Documentation compiled after 1933
Medium: Photo(s): 1
Photo Caption Page(s): 1
Notes:
Survey number: HABS GA-2113
Subjects:
Presbyterian churches
Place:
Georgia — Richmond County — Augusta
Latitude/Longitude: 33.47083, -81.975
Bookmark /ga0432/
Combined Shipping: 1 shipping charge, no matter how many photos you order!
Source: Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.